Aut Cesar, Aut Nihil, Wargaming the Borgias.

Aut Cesar, Aut Nihil, Wargaming the Borgias.

Saturday 6 October 2012

Derby Wargames show,and the start of the project.

Well today,John and I trekked south to the Derby World Championships.
It didn't seem that tedious,but then we haven't been for a couple of years.
The venue had changed to Donnington Park,which was very easy to find off the M1.
The actual venue is best described as cavernous,and you could probably fit a Zepplin in it, if you had one spare.
The parking was fine,and its free,take note Sheffield.
The cafe did a brisk trade although tea,weighed in at £1.50 a cup. The food looked ok.
There was a lot of trade [80] this time,with a wide cross section of traders.
Most importantly Dave Thomas was there with the first part of my Borgia Italian army, minus a couple of bits,ie no Stradiot troopers! Still what I bought was very very nice,and I cant wait to paint them which is always a good sign.
Its very easy to part with cash when the figures are of a very high standard.
I nearly succumbed to the Perry Carrocio, but units are what I really need.So I am aiming for a unit of Italian sword and buckler men, two pike blocks,two arquebusier blocks and some heavy cavalry.
I also bought the mounted commands,as I find if I paint them up first they inspire me for the more mundane units.
I promised a list for the army and I will publish one next time,so at least I can record my intentions,usually however I exceed what I planned,but hey ho.
Getting back to the Derrby show,the games were of a high standard overall,my favourite being a 28mm
Napoleonic peninsular game. That said, there was a very fine second world war game in 28mm.
So overall I liked the show, the venue was noisy due to a motorcycle rally,but it is Donnington. The venue does look like a factory unit,but overall I enjoyed the show.
Anyway back to the painting grindstone, and roll on my first figures..  

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see you there Robbie, even better to see you with a big bag of mini's and a lighter wallet :)
    I've lost you email address, hopefully you've still got mine, drop me a line and I;ll send you some pics of my Italians and Johns' Black Bande,
    Regards, Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way- beat you to the Cesare Borgia avatar :)
    Jim.

    ReplyDelete

Honour Guard of Cesare Borgia.

Honour Guard of Cesare Borgia.