Aut Cesar, Aut Nihil, Wargaming the Borgias.

Aut Cesar, Aut Nihil, Wargaming the Borgias.

Monday 9 December 2013

A start on the French Army, via some odds and sods.

Before I start, apologies for the quality of the photographs. I don't understand what has happened to my camera, it doesn't seem to want to use the flash.

After their outing at Smoggycon, it was pretty obvious to me that I had overdone the numbers of Cesare's army. They obviously needed an opponent. I have opted to paint up some French, although technically they didnt fight against Cesare, they did fight everone else.
 Whilst starting the army, I strayed onto painting a Hinchliffe wagon. The colour scheme is a bit garish, but I got a bit carried away with the yellow. Still a nice model, and well worth buying, and still at a fairly modest price.
I then wandered into starting some new casuality markers for Pike and Shotte. I managed to pick up a few bases really cheap so I have no excuse in not doing any.

 At Smoggycon, I realised that I needed more generals to lead the various units, so I used up some of my Perry WOR leaders and personalities. I know Margaret of Anjou is stretching things a bit, but she is a lovely figure.

Which led me onto some mercenary Italian gendarmes for the French. When Peter Gilder created these figures under the guise of Connisseur Figures,  way back in the 1980's these were the cutting edge of wargames figures.I think they still hold their own with a lot of ranges. Not cheap, but full of life.
They are helped by banners from Pete's Flags. Colour, colour and more colour, not for the faint hearted.



 I was kindly given some Corvus pikemen by a wargamer called Jason. Again I would like to say thank you for the kind gesture. I am halfway through painting up a French pike block.  Again an old range, but still a great range, but hard to get hold of.


3 comments:

  1. Glad to see this excellent work, colors are really impressive, and Margaret d' Anjou is very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phil, I found Margaret of Anjou a really good figure to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May be one day in my army...

    ReplyDelete

Honour Guard of Cesare Borgia.

Honour Guard of Cesare Borgia.